Long Time Lawman

 

EvansPaulNewspaperArticle

Unknown Newspaper and date

 

Long Time Lawman

Burbank Police officer Paul Evans, right, the oldest member of the department, celebrates his 30th anniversary with officer Robert Stentz, who has been on the force for six months. Evans wears badge number 1 and joined the department in July of 1936.

 

Police officer Paul Monroe was the son of William Manson Evans and May Belle Moreland.

 

Color dividerThank you for reading.

J. R. Findsen

Follow me on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.

 

Advertisements

100th Birthday Celebration

 

MorelandMargaretNewsPaperArt100thBirthday3

Unknown Newspaper, probably near Burbank, California

 

Edith Moreland Jones (born Laura Edith Moreland) was the daughter of John Brumbaugh Moreland and Aletha Antoinette Grice. Edith married Homer T. Jones on 19 Feb 1902 in Delaware County, Indiana. Homer and Edith had two daughters, Helen and Rachael. Edith was involved in her community and was a strong advocate for education.

 

Thank you for reading.

J. R. Lowe

Lillie Pinkerton Watson Obituary

PinkertonLillieObit

Lillie Pinkerton Watson, Dies in West

Moved with Family to Poweshiek County In Year 1867.

On the morning of Sept 26, 1941, at her home in Burbank, Calif., the earthly life of a rarely useful woman came to a close. Lillie Martha Pinkerton was born near Waupun, Wis., on the 12th of January, 1864, the fourth daughter of Rev. David Pinkerton and his wife, Mary Hitchcock Pinkerton.
Forced by ill health to forego ministerial work, Mr. Pinkerton moved his family to Iowa in 1867 and bought land nine miles from Grinnell – a congenial soil for these transplanted new Englanders. A very few may remember the eight children who, with their parents, helped convert the raw prairie into a fertile farm.

Grew Up in Chester.
Here Lillie grew from a romping three-year-old child into a bright, rosy-cheeked school girl. The district was fortunate in the character of some of the young women who taught the early school and were instrumental in molding into fine men and women, the children in their care. The first teacher was Mary Pinkerton, the oldest of the Pinkerton clan. Others were Fannie and Addie Ricker, who became respectively Mrs. David Morrison and Mrs. Andrew McIntosh.
Mary Pinkerton went to Africa as a missionary of the American Board in 1874. She served there seven years and founded the Umzumbe Home for Native Girls. When her health failed, she returned to the homeland, but her vital interest in the work of the Kingdom never failed and she was much in demand as a speaker, and her counsel often sought. Eventually, she married Rev. C. H. McCreery and mothered his six sons. She died in 1929.

Brothers Drowned.
Among neighbors near the Pinkerton farm were the Fishers, Healds, Shermans, Rutherfords and others. The bonds of friendship then forged were never broken. To Chester Center about this time, came Rev. G.H. White was the beloved pastor of the little country church.
Deep tragedy came to the Pinkerton family in 1876 when two sons just entering manhood were drowned in the Iowa River. They were buried in the Chester Cemetery and years later their mother’s body was laid beside them. Two years after this sad event, Mr. Pinkerton bought a house on Elm Street. Many years later this became the home of Professor Conard.
Emma Pinkerton Studied in the Academy, but did not graduate. She acquired a fine reputation as a teacher in Minnesota and other places. While thus engaged, she met and married Daniel Booker. Her home for may years was at Sylvan on Fox Island in Puget Sound.

G. H. S. Graduate.
This beautiful spot was settled by a number of congenial families from Grinnell – the Herricks, Bixbys, Millers and others. In later years, the Booker family moved to southern California; here Mrs. Booker died in 1932, shortly followed by her husband.
Lillie Pinkerton graduated from Grinnell High School and entered Grinnell college in ’82, her brother Will’s senior year. Incidentally Will was in the third story of East College when it was razed by the cyclone. He went down with the building and dug himself out from several feet of bricks, unharmed.
Lillie’s college course was interrupted by some terms of teaching, but she graduated in the class of 1887. Vivacious and friendly, sensible and a good student, she was popular and active in school.

Married in 1888
After a year of teaching in a colored school in her home town of Chetopa, Kansas, she was married in her mother’s house to her classmate, Irving S. Watson, on October 4, 1888. Mrs. Watson’s first home was in Ottumwa, where her husband was Y. M. C. A. secretary.
Soon after, they moved to Oakland, Calif., and after a few years to southern California. For many years Mr. Watson was police judge of the city of Burbank, and won fame as the originator of a system by which a prisoner is allowed to work by day to support his family and confined to jail at night. He died in 1938.

Belonged to P. E. O.
Since then Mrs. Watson has lived quietly, forced by failing health to drop outside activities. Her deep and vital interest in spiritual values never lessened nor her interest in people. One of her lasting contacts was with former Negro and Indian pupils.
She spent two years as matron of the older girls in the Santee Training School, – now discontinued – with marked success and followed “her girls” with motherly love as they went out into the world, rejoicing when they made good and mourning when they failed or died. She had been a member of the P. E. O. for 52 years and next to her family and church, this lay nearest to her heart.
Her pastor, Rev. Alden Read, conducted the last comforting service, and she was laid to rest in the cemetery at Long Beach beside her husband and her sister, Mary. One adopted daughter, Mrs. Margaret Watson Byram of San Fernando, Calif., survives her.
Of nine children born to David and Mary Pinkerton, only the two youngest sons remain: Rev. W. B. Pinkerton, who at the age of 80 is Chaplain of the Santa Barbara General hospital, and Winthrop H. Pinkerton of Pasadena. This was a typical sturdy American family, used to hard work; not amassing great wealth, but rich in character and enduring qualities.
Of Lillie Pinkerton Watson, it can truly be said “Blessed are they who die in the lord, and their works do follow them.” She had left a host of friends who sill feel the world a lonelier place because she has left it. – A. G. P.

 

This lovely obituary was written by Agnes Ellen Gurney Pinkerton my second great grandmother and wife to Rev. William Brown Pinkerton brother to Lillie Martha Pinkerton Watson. This is what an obituary should be for everyone.

 

Thank you for reading.

J. R. Lowe

Three Kingsport Men

lowerobybnews12mar1946

 

Three Kingsport Men

2 March 1946

Three Kingsport men, including in a list of nine East Tennesseans, recently received honorable discarges at the Camp Chaffee Personnel center, Camp Chaffee, Ark.

Kingsport men were: Pvt. James M. Collins, 80 Dale Street; Sgt. George E. Cloud, Route 6: T/3 Robert W. Hagie, 137 Warpath Drive.

Other East Tennesseans were: T/4 Charles E. Hale, Route 4, Johnson City; M/Sgt. Charles F. Weaver, 1503 E. Uriaka Street, Johnson City: Pfc. Roby B. Lowe, 108 E. Main Street, Johnson City; Sgt. Wade H. Carter, Route 4, Jonesboro; T/5 Cecil V. Kilby, 510 W. Main Street, Johnson City.

 

Thank you for reading.

J. R. Lowe

Dargatz Family Reunion

dargatzreunionnews 001

The Family of the late Herman and Amelia Dargatz gathered for a reunion at Millet recently, 11 of 13 children, their children and grandchildren present. Standing back row, left to right are Mrs. Emma Plitt (youngest of the family from Chilliwack); Carl Dargatz (eldest) of Wetaskiwin; Adolph Dargatz, Wetaskiwin; Paul Dargatz, Wetaskiwin; Roy Dargatz, Forest Grove, Oregon; Herman Dargatz, Edmonton; Augusta Pomeranz, Chilliwack; Seated: Mrs. Elizabeth Bienert, Portland, Oregon; Mrs. Olga Dusdal, San Fransisco; Mrs. Bertha Pomeranz, Wetaskiwin and Mrs. Mary Welke, Rosalind, Wash; Albert Dargatz from Chilliwack was prevented from attending by illness, and Bill Dargatz of Wetaskiwin arrived too late for the picture.

 

140 Attend Reunion of Dargatz Family

 

About 140 relatives attended the Dargatz family reunion in the Millet Community Hall Sunday, July 8. Twelve of the thirteen children of the late Herman and Amelia Dargatz, ranging in age from 60 to 81, were present for the occasion. Also on hand were many of their children, grand children and even six great grand children. Albert Dargatz of Chilliwack was prevented, by illness, from attending.

The six Dargatz sisters were all presented with corsages of white orchids and the five Dargatz brothers wore carnation buttonholes from Virgil Pomeranz of Edmonton. Herman and Florence Dargatz presented name tags to all the guests and Roy Dargatz presented a handmade souvenir to each of the family.

Mrs. Geneva Weinhandl of Whitecourt was in charge of the guest book, and had made an artistically painted family tree, with names of the family inscribed along the various branches. A smaller copy of the family tree was presented to each of the senior members of the family.

Mrs. Velma Slvaggio of Los Angeles spoke briefly and offered a prayer before the potluck dinner was served. Each family brought a favorite dish and the menu offered a tremendous variety.

After dinner the Welke sisters sang, and Fred Buskas spoke about the family reunion. Velma Slvaggio spoke on old times as a Christian family.

A highlight of the day was when each person was given the opportunity to recall something remembered from childhood days. This brought back many happy memories to the family of the days on the farm seven miles east of Millet.

For the rest of the afternoon the family visited and made the acquaintance of relatives they had never met and talked over old times with those they had not seen for many years.

Following the evening meal, Gordon Welke from Ronald, Washington, who travelled in a converted school bus with his family, took youngsters and oldsters for rides. The time to break up came all too soon, and before departing, the family and visitors joined in a hymn sing of old favorites “Blest be the Tie That Binds” and “God Be With You Until We Meet Again”. A parting prayer was offered by Dennis Pomeranz of Rosedale, B.C.

Members of the family came to the reunion from many parts of Canada and the United States, including several centers in California, Oregon and Washington, from British Columbia and from many Alberta points including Edmonton, Drayton Valley, Ft. McMurray, Blackfalds, Vegreville, Whitecourt, Millet and Wetaskiwin areas.

 

Thank you for reading.

J. R. Lowe

Follow me on Twitter.

Louise Flanders Wed To Mark M. Evans

EvansMarkWeddingNewspaperNotice

 

Louise Flanders Wed To Mark M. Evans
Burbank Evening Review
Monday, October 1, 1945

 In a white lace wedding gown trimmed with seed pearls Miss Louise T. Flanders, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. LeRoy C. Flanders of 1069 E. Santa Anita ave., became the bride Saturday at 8 p.m. of Mark M. Evans, son of Mrs. Mary B. Evans of 261 E. Tujunga ave.

The service was read in the First Presbyterian church by the Rev. Frederic G. Appleton. The bride was given in marriage by her father.

The bride dress was fashioned with full length sleeves, the skirt falling into a train. Her tiera was of lace and net with seed pearls and the veil was finger tip length. Her pearl necklace and ear rings were the gift of the groom and her flowers were white roses centered with two orchids.

Bridal attendants were Mrs. John Hendry, cousin of the bride; Mrs. Douglas R. Williams, another cousin and Mrs. Douglas Pinkerton, sister of the groom. Mrs. Hendry’s gown was of aqua marquisette, Mrs. Williams wore pink marquisette and Mr. Pinkerton also wore pink. All carried gladiolas and the three gowns were made alike.

The bridegroom’s attendants were Messrs, Paul M. Evans, Douglas R. Williams and Robert Robinson.

Flower girls were four-year-old Joan Hendry and six-year-old Carole Hendry, who wore white organdy with satin ribbon trim and organdy ruffles at neckline and bottom of the skirt.

The very small ring-bearer was Richard J. Williams, age two and a half who wore a tuxedo as did the groom’s attendants.

All the bride’s attendants, including the flower girls, wore heart-shaped lockets, gifts of the bride.

Mrs. Max Eckerman was soloist and Mrs. Ana Mojonier was organist. her selections were “Ave Maria,” and “The Lord’s Prayer”.

Following the service a reception was held in the church parlors, after which the newly wed pair left for a short trip to Santa Barbara. On their return they will live at 445 B. E. San Jose St., Burbank.

The bride’s mother is a graduate of the Willmar High School of Willmar, Minnesota and her husband was graduated from the Manuel Arts High School in Los Angeles and was with the U.S. Army nine years. He is a member of the Burbank fire department.

The new Mrs. Evans has been employed as a beauty shop operator.

 

 

Thank you for reading.

J. R. Lowe

A Brief, Bright History

MorelandTruckNewpaperArticle

A Brief, Bright History

Moreland Trucks: Made in Burbank

By James Quinn, Los Angeles Times 1975

Burbank – In the giddy days of economic expansion in the 1920’s when every investment was expected to produce a windfall. Burbank’s industrial centerpiece was the Moreland Motor Truck Co.

Reflecting local pride in the city’s industrial giant, the Burbank review declared in 1920. “It has become common to hear people remark that a think is as strong as durable or as powerful as a Moreland Truck.”

The company founded in Los Angeles in 1911 by Watt Moreland, expanded into a $2 million, 27-acre plant at San Fernando Blvd and Alameda Ave. in 1920.

For nearly a decade, Moreland prospered in Burbank.

The local newspaper noted that Burbank-built trucks and buses were used throughout the world – even in the Bolivian Andes, where they proved to be the only vehicles capable of operating at such heights.

And the firm succeeded, the paper said, “in the face of the fiercest of eastern competition and …demonstrated that trucks and other automotive machinery can be made in the West as well as the East.”

It all came grinding to a halt, shortly after the Great Crash of 1929.

Mrs. Edith Jones, Moreland’s sister, recalls that within a few years of the crash, the plant was boarded up. Moreland retired to San Clemente and the Moreland brand began a slow trek to obscurity.

“Everyone still wanted trucks, but they didn’t want to pay for them, so my brother just went out of business,” recalls Mrs. Jones, a resident of Pacific Manor on Glenoaks Blvd.

Today a gas station and homes stand where the trucks and buses were once manufactured.

So complete was the departure of the company that Burbank Historical Society members had to dig into their files when a Moreland truck and bus were offered to them recently.

“I had never heard of the company,” said Mrs. Mary Jane Strickland, society president, “and I was certainly surprised to learn that the firm had been so large and well known.”

Businessmen Gordon Howard and Joseph Palma donated the bus and truck to the society saying they hoped the group would be able to restore them.

Palma and Howard, collectors of antique vehicles, had bought the truck and bus four years ago from Universal Studios, which had used them as props.

Society members, after mulling what to do with the gifts, decided to undertake restoration of the vehicles and to make them the symbol of Burbank parades and other events.

Both vehicles appear to be structurally sound, although both engines need overhauling and painting and detail work is sorely needed.

Of the two, the bus seems more likely to attract attention. it is square-shaped in the old-fashioned manner, has high fenders and a rear platform with a guardrail.

“We don’t know what the insurance restrictions will be,” Mrs. Strickland said, “but we hope that we can make the vehicles available to any group that will display them as part of a community event.”

Mary Ann Brumbaugh Obituary

scan0016

Mary Ann Brumbaugh’s obituary is a little hard to read. Here is what it says:

Mary Ann Brumbaugh, was born in Burks county, Penn., January 27, 1830, and departed this life December 23, 1907, aged 77 years, 10 months and 25 days.

In 1850 she came with her father and mother, Abraham and Elizabeth Brumbaugh to Henry county, Ind., and on September 27, 1855, was married to John Moreland, by the Rev. Samuel Sayford. To this union seven children were born, five sons and two daughters. One daughter, Mary Elizabeth died May 22, 1872. And her devoted companion died May 24, 1907, leaving six children to mourn their loss, John B., of Los Angeles, Cal.; William, of Kempton, Ind.; David L. of Muncie, Ind.; Henry, of Daleville, Ind.; Franklin, near the old home, and Mrs. Emma Swanger, of Cross Roads.

She also leaves fourteen grandchildren and six great grandchildren.

She was the youngest member of a family of six, of which none now survive.

She was a devoted wife and mother, respected by all who knew her.

Together with her beloved husband, she united with the Richwoods Lutheran church in the year 1873, during the pastorate of the Rev. Link. here she remained a member until her death, which we believe was only the quiet and peaceful transition from earthly sorrows to eternal joys.

 

Thank you for reading,

J. R. Lowe

Jaguar Killed in Mills County, Texas

brownthaddeushomernewsartandpic

This is a great little bit of history.  I did not realize that Jaguars ranged as far north as Texas. So, I did a little digging. Michael Tewes with the César Kleberg Wildlife Research Institute has studied big cats in Texas for over twenty-five years. He gives a little history on these large felines;

“Jaguars historically ranged from the Pineywoods of East Texas to the Hill Country. There’s no indication they were numerous in Texas. Reports from early settlers were that they were occasional. Encounters with jaguars usually took place along river corridors where the first settlements in Texas popped up.”

Jaguars are the third largest cats in the world. Only lions and tigers are bigger in size. Today, jaguars range from South America to Mexico. The last know jaguar killed in Texas was in 1949, not 1904 as the article suggests.

 

Thank you for reading,

J.R. Lowe